Just a reminder that Michael Grais (Poltergeist, Cool World) will be speaking tonight 5-8pm in te August Coppola Theater at San Francisco State University. Michael will be discussing his career, addressing the state of screenwriting and taking questions from the audience. It’s an opportunity not to be missed.
Over the holidays I was asked to write the preface for a forthcoming book on transmedia, by Stavroula Kalogeras for Palgrave Macmillan. Very interesting stuff, both for media writers and educators as the book discusses the potential of transmedia storytelling for higher education. The hardback is due out in April, but I only hope the paperback price will come down a long way!
I am organizing three master classes with professional screenwriters at SFSU this Spring. You can see details on the poster, but the Thursday evening event in Coppola Theater, for all three speakers, is open to everyone. (The Friday will be a workshop only for enrolled students.) These promise to be entertaining and enlightening as all three of our guests are opinionated, well informed and have stories to tell!
I’m delighted to announce that the producer and screenwriter Michael Grais (Poltergeist, Cool World etc.) will be offering a master class at SF State next February 13th-14th.
On the evening of the 13th, I will be hosting Michael in the August Coppola Theater for a discussion about his work and the state of screenwriting in Hollywood. On the 14th, Michael and I will work with a small group of students for a master class on screenwriting. The workshop is for students who sign up for my CINE 324 (01) Filmmaking Master Class only, but the event in Coppola is open.
The scholarly volume on the history of screenwriting that I am co-editing for Rutgers University Press will be published next August (2014). It is featured in the new catalogue from Rutgers, and artwork from its cover (temporarily an edited extract from my screenplay, Cutterjunk until we can find a more prestigious alternative) illustrates the cover of the catalogue. You can pre-order it now, so take a look.
Oh – and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I just received the files for the Rutgers UP Screenwriting volume from the copy editor. The joys of checking text begin…
And, to make it much more fun, my landlord is noisily renovating the apartment above me. I think a rapid change of scene is in order to maintain sanity and preserve my murder virginity for another day. Onwards…
Dear esteemed reader, just a quick note to say that I know I’ve been off the blog for a while. There is a very good reason for this and I’ll be positing about it soon. Thanks for continuing to give us an eye and more will follow.
Thanks to Chris Jones’ blog for this link to a fascinating document. A transcript of a story conference between Lucas, Spielberg and Kasdan during prep. for Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Features Nominated for Best Picture and/or Outstanding Cinematography by the AMPAS and ASC along with the Directors, DPs, and formats they employed
- Amour, Director Michael Haneke, DP Darius Khondji Camera/Format: Arri Alexa, ARRIRAW, Cooke Spherical
– Argo, Director Ben Affleck, DP Rodrigo Prieto, Camera ARRI Alexa, ARRIRAW, with some 35mm, 16mm, and 8mm mixed in
- Beasts of the Southern Wild, Director Bhen Zeitlin, DP Ben Richardson
Camera: ARRI 16SR3, S16 Kodak Film, Zeiss Lenses, Spherical
- Django Unchained, Director Quentin Tarantino, DP Robert Richardson, ASC, Camera/Format Panavision on 35mm Kodak Film, Anamorphic
- Les Misérables, Director Tom Hooper, DP Danny Cohen Camera/Format, Arricam, S35mm Kodak Film, Spherical
- Life of Pi, Director Ang Lee, DP Claudio Miranda, ASC, Head of Stereography Graham D. Clark, (DCS Member), Stereographer, Brian Gardner, Camera/Format Arri Alexa, PACE Fusion 3-D
- Lincoln, Director Steven Spielberg., DP Janusz Kaminski, Camera/Format: Panavision on S35mm Kodak Film
- Silver Linings Playbook, Director David O. Russell, DP Masanobu Takayanagi, Camera/Format, Arricam, S35mm Kodak Film, Spherical
- Zero Dark Thirty, Director Kathryn Bigelow, DP Greig Fraser, Camera/Format: Arri Alexa, ARRIRAW, Cooke Spherical
- Anna Karenina, Director Joe Wright, DP Seamus McGarvey Camera/Format Panavision on 35mm Kodak Film, Anamorphic
- Skyfall, Director Sam Mendes, DP Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC, Camer/Format: ARRI Alexa, ARRIRAW, with some RED Epic REDcode RAW mixed in for 2nd Unit Action Shots.
Compiled by James Mathers with data collected from IMDBpro